Twenty-one-year-old Shanice Clark, a student and athlete at the California University of Pennsylvania was found unresponsive in her bed around 3:03 AM Sunday January 18th, 2015. She was later in the morning pronounced legally deceased.
Shanice was a very well-received member of the CAU community with no known adversaries. She is spoken of with high regard by campus leadership and by those that know her.
Preliminary medical reports indicated Shanice choked to death off of a piece of gum while she slept. Those reports were incorrect.
Two months after her death a coroner’s report was released stating her death was caused by a blood cell disorder, not from inhaling chewing gum, as police first believed.
The Coroner, Tim Warco blamed it on sickle cell trait, a blood cell disorder that can lead to sudden death in extremely rare cases.
RIP Shanice Clark, you are missed and your time with us was not in vain.